- THE KEY OF TRAINING — Become trained so that you can function properly and effectively. A trained leader generally is a good leader.
- THE KEY OF TEAMWORK — Realize that you can’t do it alone. Develop a capable team of parents and others to support and assist you.
- THE KEY OF RESOURCES — There is a lot of support and help out there for you. Use the many resources that are available to you.
- THE KEY OF CALENDARING — An effective program is best planned at least a year in advance. With your youth leaders and adult team, plan a fun-filled calendar of Scouting activities for the next twelve months.
- THE KEY OF YOUTH MOTIVATION — Inspire and train your boy leaders to rise to their full leadership potential. Give them opportunities for growth through service in your unit.
- THE KEY OF SCOUTING IDEALS — Constantly teach the ideals of Scouting. Make the Scout Oath, the Law, Motto, and Slogan come to life with real meaning in the lives of your boys.
- THE PATROL METHOD, THE KEY OF SCOUTING — Utilize the patrol method in all phases of the program — the den and pack, the patrol and troop, the squad and team. Be the inspiration and motivation for patrol spirit.
- THE KEY OF EXAMPLE — Always wear your complete uniform and encourage your boys to do the same. Speak and act as you want your boys to become.
- THE KEY OF FRIENDSHIP — Show a genuine love and concern for your young men. Take time to be a friend and hero to them.
- THE KEY OF JOY IN SERVICE — Put your whole heart into the job. Enjoy each scouting moment as it comes and too soon passes.
Well, there you have them: Ten keys, which when used, can open limitless doors to effective programs, eternal friendships and pride in the strength of true Christ-like service. Give the keys a try … and good Scouting to you!
Best wishes along your Scouting Trails … Kevin
Excerpt taken from his “Scouting Trails” Book: “KEYS TO SCOUTING LEADERSHIP“ at Scouting Trails. Connect with Kevin and read his article: “A Hundred Years of Scouting and What it Has Made Me” in The Boy Scout
© Kevin V. Hunt 2016