For me and for most Scouts, Memorial Day kicks-off summer with camping, swimming and grilling. This summer we launch the barbecue season with our FireDisc portable grill …and it just makes sense to use it to kick off the summer cooking hamburgers and hotdogs. Only, these are not your ordinary burgers and dogs as you will see.
First up are Sunny-Side Egg and Cheese Burgers grilled to perfection and kept warm while the dogs are grilling. This burger was a real hit in our test kitchen, right down to the yolk dripping down the side of the sandwich. Second is the All-American Hot Dog made better with bacon. The burger recipe comes from my cooking staple, Taste of Home, while the dog recipe comes from this classic post on The Boy Scout.
- MAYO SPREAD
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean) or 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices Gruyere or sharp cheese
- 8 mini pretzel buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- Fresh arugula
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Additional stone-ground mustard, optional
- 1- Whisk mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest until blended. Refrigerate until serving
- 2- For burgers, combine the meat, mustard, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well, then shape into 8 patties
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, Grill, covered, over medium direct heat (center ring of the FireDisc) 5-7 minutes on each side.
- 3- After the first turn, slide the burgers to the middle ring to make room for the eggs and add butter to center of FireDisc.
- 4-To make basted eggs, spoon drippings and butter in pan over eggs while cooking or or over-easy, carefully turn eggs to cook both sides but do not cover pan; meanwhile keep burgers hot and top with sharp cheese (grill until cheese is melted, them move to outer ring to keep them warm) and eggs.
- 5- reduce heat to low.
- 6-To serve, spread mayonnaise mixture over bun tops. Add arugula, tomatoes and, if desired, additional mustard to burgers.
- 7-Top with fried egg piles and bun tops.
- For a healthier alternative, use ground turkey in place of ground beef (we mixed them half and half).
- Originally published as Gruyere and Egg Burgers in Taste of Home April/May 2018
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 strips of bacon
- 16 toothpicks
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1. Wrap each hot dog with a strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick at each end.
- 2. Place the wrapped hot dogs in the center of the FireDisc.
- 3. Grill until bacon is crispy. This should take about 5 minutes or so. The bacon grease will run to the center.
- 3. Remove from grill and remove toothpicks from hot dog before serving.
- Rachel says to "Serve on a bun with mustard. Because real hot dogs only have mustard."
If we asked you what you think the most popular foods to grill on your favorite outdoor premium BBQ gas grills, chances are you’d likely list the following because these are America’s all-time favorite foods to grill:
• Hot Dogs
You’re probably not surprised that burgers are the most popular food choice amongst Americans when it’s time to fire up the grill, but you may be surprised that hot dogs take the number 3 spot. When it comes to grilling side dishes, America enjoys the following popular choices and they are favorited in the following order:
• Other Vegetables:
Popular barbecue and grilling flavors, in no particular order, include the following:
The question now is, what did you grill for Memorial Day?