“Hold the toppings, please. It’s National Cheese Pizza Day!” says the National Day Calendar about today’s holiday– Cheese Pizza Day. Here are some fun facts and a great pizza recipe to help you party (After all, who doesn’t want pizza?):
- The modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
Scouts everywhere love pizza. Though we made ours with pepperoni, skip the meat, and you can celebrate National Cheese Pizza Day with this recipe.
This recipe, from our Barebones cooking series, is adapted from other recipes where we have used frozen dinner rolls. Since I make homemade rolls most Sundays, I just make an extra batch of dough and freeze it into balls for later use, but you can buy frozen dough at most grocers, or make it fresh before leaving for your campout.
Frozen or fresh, you will find this recipe filling and easy to make anytime. (By the way, my recipe is just a tad bit different than the video. I hope you will not mind.)
- 12” Barebones Deep Dutch Oven
- Charcoal or hot coals from a campfire
- Lid lifter to check on browning
- Pancake Turner (or fork) for serving
- Small bowl (for oil and spices).
☐ 18 thawed frozen dough rolls [On a campout where travel time is more than an hour, you will find the dough ready to use if you plop them into the Dutch oven before you leave.]
☐ 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
☐ 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
☐ 1 (14 ounce) can or jar pizza sauce
☐ 2 teaspoons oregano or Italian seasoning
☐ 1 teaspoon onion powder
☐ 1 teaspoon garlic powder
☐ 1/2 cup olive oil
☐ 1 package pepperoni slices (50+) [Unless this really is a cheese only pie, then hold the toppings.)
- Mix olive oil and all seasonings in a small bowl.
2. Place each roll one at a time into the mixture, toss to coat. Put rolls in Dutch oven.
3. Add pizza sauce, and roll dough in it. Pour more sauce over the dough.
(If adding pepperoni or other meat, push slices between each roll.)
6. Place on a hot set of coals (see inside the Barebones lid for suggested temperatures; heat on this one should be 425 degrees).
7. Cover the lid with more coals and bake for 15–18 minutes
How did you and your Scouts celebrate National Cheese Pizza Day?
This article is sponsored by BarebonesLiving.com
Enjoy these other recipes from our Barebones cooking series: