On the 17th and 18th of October the Boy Scouts of America and Kiwanis International will host the fourth International Youth Protection Symposium in Indianapolis, Indiana to tackle issues surrounding sexual abuse.
The need for more in-depth discussions about sexual abuse and its prevention is increasingly urgent— studies show one in seven children have experienced abuse in the past year alone.
In a collaborative effort to prevent and sensitively/effectively respond to sexual abuse cases, the BSA and Kiwanis invites leaders from youth-serving organizations —school administrators, youth athletic leaders, and leaders in faith communities to participate in the symposium
- Learn about and discuss practices, training programs, policies, and initiatives that affect our programs
- Hear and learn from leading experts in the field of child sexual abuse
- Receive the latest in research articles and materials, including youth-serving organizations’ policies and training materials, and any materials handed out or discussed at the symposium
- Discuss prevention programs that are based on youth-serving organization experience, research, and evidence
- Develop strong relationships with other youth-serving organizations facing the same issues you face today
Leading youth protection experts will answer questions and provide advice and resources to participants, so come with any questions. Two of the experts are John Myers JD, professor of law at the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento, California and authority on legal and historical aspects of child maltreatment, and Dr. Michael Bourke, active researcher and extensive publisher of child exploitation, staff wellness and psychological safeguarding. Additionally, an Eagle Scout who experienced sexual abuse from a his assistant Scoutmaster will also speak and answer questions.
The cost for this event is $450 per guest, and includes:
- Keynote speakers Dr. James Mercy and Kevin Mulcahy, plenary sessions and breakouts
- Two breakfasts
- Two lunches
- Welcome reception
Please go to https://iyps.kiwanis.org for more details and information about the event.