Troop Leader Resources (troopleader.org) is a brand new, authorized Boy Scout website developed to help ensure that troop leaders have fun meetings with positive outcomes. The site is designed to do this in a colorful and informative way. It’s aided by videos and photos of real Scouts in real troops. They’re engaged, involved, and obviously having a great time.
From the outset, the developers’ vision was to provide an online, one-stop-shop for troop leaders, both new and experienced, that would be accessible and friendly. It would also make planning effective meetings more easy.
- Troop Meeting Agenda: The agenda section breaks down each segment of the troop meeting plan with eleven, short sample videos from actual troop meetings. The section includes a description of each part of the agenda. There’s also a troop meeting planning sheet which can be filled out online by the Patrol Leaders’ Council, if desired.
- Program Features: This is the website’s major section. Each of the 48 program features are presented with explanatory information, ideas for troop meetings, and ideas for monthly main events. Each page of every program feature has its own navigation bar linking to corresponding program feature subsections.
- Program Resources: The resource section is a gateway to the Troop Program Resources sub-site containing cataloged collections of a) Scout meeting activities consisting of Scout skill challenges, troop and patrol games, and team building opportunities, b) a learning library of campcraft skill videos, c) an assortment of troop ceremonies, and d) a large compilation of leader’s minutes.
- Planning: This is a gateway consisting of information pertaining to both the annual and monthly planning process. It includes an illustrative video of a real Patrol Leaders’ Council in action.
- Training: The section is a gateway of information for both adult and youth troop leaders.
- Outings: The section is a gateway of general information along with sections for camping equipment, troop site setup, and camping trip activities.
- General Troop Information: Here, a leader can search through topics that are relevant to running a troop. Each topic has its own page, which is like a hub with a compilation of outgoing links. There are descriptive sections for the following: troop positions, the patrol, boards of review, courts of honor, fundraisers, and Scoutmaster conference.
Several links are conveniently located on every page, so navigation throughout the site is a breeze.